Wednesday 30 January 2013

Bright shiny new things

It's still dark outside. Cold. I'm tucked under a cozy blanket. I've always loved the lonely way of morning. Just me and the darkness and my coffee and the blanket. Somehow this time of day seems to belong to me a little bit more than the rest. 

Good morning. :)

This week I am thinking about doing new things. Things that drum up the heart. That scare us through and through.

On Sunday I hosted a two hour radio program. I spent all week preparing and got totally swept away by the project until I was lost. I literally could not tear my eyes away. Listening to music, watching videos, arranging the songs and re-arranging. I wish I felt like this more often--completely committed and immersed and just a tiny bit insane. Something to strive for, I suppose.

I found so many inspiring things. This video by M83.


M83 'Wait' Official video from The Creators Project on Vimeo.

A group called The Wonder Revolution. "More than a band, The Wonder Revolution is a collective that features musicians and visual artists, all seeking a return to wonder." I myself am concerned with wonder, so I really love this concept. (And do I adore the spazzy white-haired gnome man on the front page of their website? Yes indeed I do.)

Also, The Cinematic Orchestra put out an album called "In Motion, pt 1" that "provide[s] soundtracks to or musical re-imaginings of seminal work by great avant-garde film-makers." This is really neat. The song (top) and video for "Manhatta" below. Mute the movie and then play them together.



Sometimes (often actually) people just amaze me.

We spent Sunday skiing at Lake Louise, a mostly-sunny day in the most spectacular setting you can possibly imagine. (You guys. The mountains...)


Our friend Cindy drove us out and we talked a lot about work, who we are, and how we'd like to be. It's always refreshing to be around someone as self-reflective and honest as Cindy is.

I've learned a lot about myself this year. I realize that if there is an external deadline (like a two hour radio show I have to host) I will work my tail off to make it awesome. But if it's just me holding myself to a deadline, I will procrastinate to holy heck. It takes a while to fully accept the things we'd rather not about ourselves. But I think we must so that we can figure out ways around them. Right?

Cindy's the bomb!
 We got back and ate our weekly batch of pho (little bowl of heaven from the Vietnamese restaurant down the street) and then my calm ski-pho bliss rapidly disintegrated into a hummingbird-paced heart and a crazed bundle of nerves. I mean... what business do I have being on the radio?

I used to host a reading series in San Francisco, and about an hour before the show this always happened to me. I would turn into a crazy person. Dan would patiently help me gather up my things, complete last minute tasks, tell me I looked pretty. And on Sunday it was the same. Me jumping in and out of the shower commanding him to Turn on the computer! Hook up the printer! Print that! No not that--get out of the way--let me do it! 


I don't know why he puts up with me.

You're going to be fine, he said. You worked really hard on this. (It's moments like this--when you've gone out of your damn mind and your partner still loves you--that you fall in love a little bit more.)

I made it through. I spoke, I played the music. There were a few glitches, but mostly, it was pretty great.

That night I was exhausted, but I couldn't sleep. All the adrenaline still pumping through my veins.

I have learned that fear can really mean you're on to something good. But I'm still figuring out how wander in the direction of fear and wrestle with it. That's another thing I've been thinking about: how to be brave.

I'm leaving you with my very favorite song from Sunday's show. Antony and the Johnson's Swanlights. It's heartbreakingly beautiful.

"Living is a golden thing. It means everything." Is anything more true?

(Note: this is the video I could find. The track I played is from their new live album Cut the World, and I highly recommend tracking down that version if you can.)

1 comment: