Friday 27 July 2012

Steal Like An Artist

Hello Sweet Friends. 

Today I want to share a little book with you. I love this little book.  One of my best friends sent it to me, and I've been curling up in my office with it every morning after Dan goes to work. It's a book you could read in an hour. But I've been savoring it one cup of coffee at a time. 

This is the book. See how cute she is?

Here's something I've been thinking about almost every day for the past 10 years.


Here's something I needed to hear. 

You might be scared to start. That's natural. There's this very real thing that runs rampant in educated people. It's called "imposter syndrome"....It means that you feel like a phony, like you're just winging it, that you really don't have any idea what you're doing.

Guess what: None of us do.

Here's a new idea I think is kind of genius: 

There's been a side project I've been thinking about for ages and ages. But I keep leaving it there--on the side--because I think all free/creative time should be saved for writing. After reading this, I closed the book, picked up my computer, and got started. It felt so liberating. Who cares if it's for no one but me? 

Here's something I couldn't agree with more: 

Step away from the screen. 

And here's something that made me laugh. Dark night of the soul indeed. 


I hope these little pages and ideas inspire you/speak to you/spark something in you. I hope you are dreaming something up. I hope you make it/write it/do it, whatever it is, so the rest of us can see it/listen to it/read it/wonder away at your imagination. 

Happy weekend Friends. I hope it's a lovely one.

Love, Sky





1 comment:

  1. The best things that I have made have always been on the first try when I didn't know what I was doing. Whenever I try to repeat it, this time with a better understanding, they never turn out as well. I think ignorance is sometimes an important ingredient in creativity.

    ReplyDelete